Farm Tour and Dahlia Workshop
- Regular price
- $595.00 USD
- Regular price
- Sale price
- $595.00 USD
- Unit price
The exploration-packed workshops are on Saturday, September 17 and Saturday, October 8. We delight sharing our passion for flowers. We nurture creativity and fully encourage chance-taking. We note that the relationship between an individual and nature is a conversation that can be inadvertently stifled in a world that seems to spin faster and faster. Slow it down. At Bear Creek Farm we believe that the process of growing and arranging is a deeply personal opportunity to reflect from prescribed ideas of “success” and on the beauty of playful experimentation. We underscore that the best laid plans need not always succeed as planned to derive benefit from participation.
Bear Creek Farm is an innovative, fashion-forward flower farm, encapsulating the essence of New York City passion, ingenuity, and work ethic to lovingly cultivate each field. We are so honored that others have taken notice. New York Magazine awarded us Best Dahlias, LuxLife named us Best Dahlia and Seasonal Flowers in the Northeast, and Global Media ranked us Best Dahlia & Tall Plant Agri-Business in North America. Along with this, our barn was a 2018 HGTV Faces of Design finalist and second place winner in Westchester Home Magazine.
While we are proud of this recognition, we are equally proud of our sustained commitment to train everyone from novice flowers to those most expert in the field – and all those in between. At Bear Creek Farm, there is room for everyone to learn - together. We recognize the central fact that nature, as a metaphorical flowering meadow, offers everyone a chance to experience personal growth. As such, workshops at Bear Creek Farm are both collaborative (we learn from one another) and deeply personal (we create a space for reflection about how one fits in nature, and the lessons it delivers when one listens quietly).
Our farm is not open to the public, so this is a real opportunity to experience its beauty, see its operation and learn about the flow, movement and texture of flower arranging from floral rock star, industry leader, and fashion designers go-to, Taylor Patterson.
What Will be Featured?
- On-site Tour. I personally lead a detailed discussion that provides guidance on how to grow and harvest dahlias.
- In the afternoon renowned floral designer Taylor Patterson of Fox Fodder Farm, whose clients include Chanel, Carolina Herrera, and Ulla Johnson, will teach a floral arranging workshop making use of the season and of all the glorious flowers Bear Creek Farm grows on-site. (Do not be intimidated by Taylor’s reputation, which proceeds her. Taylor has been featured in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and is considered by Martha Stewart to be among the top 25 Floral designers nationally. That said, have you ever noticed that all the true geniuses (in any industry) are generous and eager to share? Taylor is one such generational talent, and a friend to Bear Creek Farm. Taylor enthusiastically shares our central ethos that flower growing is as much about personal growth as it is about floral growth.
- Workshops are small to allow for hands-on personal attention and human connection. Register now to avoid disappointment.
Glance at the Day
- The day will begin with an in-depth tour of Bear Creek Farm. The dwellings are award-winning restorations of historic architecture. Both gardens and farm areas are interwoven to create a feeling of “home” on the property so that your creative juices (even those you may doubt) begin to take shape.
- As we stroll among the blooms, you’ll learn about our evolving sustainable growing techniques. You’ll see other features that make our farm special such as the oldest Sycamore Tree in Dutchess County. For those who find a certain comfort in the throwback, have a peak at our (still used) vintage 1948 Ford tractor.
- I will personally give a talk about growing dahlias. Topics I cover will be special tips, the decisions we made, and why they may or may not be right for you. I believe that oversubscribing to set rules risks disappointment and robs the learner of the opportunity to learn as they go. Following precise instructions about soil mixtures in climates that may or may not match your locale, may frustrate. My talk focuses on what might work for you, and how to set goals that will grow even more than flowers. (I’m also happy to share about the mistakes I have made so that you know, an apparent “failure,” while, yes, frustrating, is normal. I welcome questions and provide any and all answers I can.
- We then enjoy lunch. We see this as an opportunity to forge new friendships with those who love flowers and appreciate the beauty of art.
- Following lunch, Taylor Patterson will be sharing her approach to floral design in general. Further, she will demonstrate these ideas using dahlias to underscore her lessons, integrating the large and small blooms to demonstrate how to create depth, texture, and stunning color palettes. Taylor’s techniques demonstrate that with just a few tweaks and the bloom, everyone can create magic. Taylor will demonstrate her technique in this small hands-on workshop where she will gently and playfully push participants to seek out whimsy and untether themselves from preconceived notions of what a “beautiful” arrangement looks like.
- You design. Finally, you will design your own arrangement to take home.
- Supplies provided. No need to worry about supplies as everything will be provided for you.
- Professional photography. Complete your day with photo memories of the event. (We will provide a special area to photograph your work.)
- $250 value in flowers for each individual floral arrangement;
- all materials for arrangement including compote and knife;
- take-home reference guide;
- discount for 2023 Bear Creek Farm dahlia tuber purchase; and
- very limited class size to enable personalized attention.
Who Will Benefit and Bloom from Our Workshop
Floral designers with any level of experience
- who want to learn from a design expert at the top of her game
- who want to understand more about growing dahlias, which are sometimes finicky
- who want to “play with flowers” and learn pro techniques along the way
- who wish to have a successful dahlia garden in their backyard
- with an interest in corporate design or weddings who want to take their skills to the next level
- who want to enhance their dahlia knowledge and understand differences in tuber quality
Full day workshop is $595.00. Class size is strictly limited to allow for personalized attention in an environment that is small and supportive. For FAQ regarding workshops, please go to resources on the website.
When you and a friend sign up together, we will extend a 10% off discount to each of you! Email us at email@example.com for more info.